Thursday 20 November 2014

Day 456: Poo bus

I just read this...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-30115137

I'm sure my British readers are thinking "Wow, what an ecological milestone, well done!"
All I can think is...


Where the fuck has England been for the last few years? 75% of all buses in Stockholm are run on the same biogas as that one "miraculous" poo bus. According to the website of the transport organisation their aim is to have at least 95% fossil-fuel-free forms of transport in greater Stockholm and I'm sure there are Stockholmers who think even that's not good enough! And it's not just Stockholm, in Uppsala, too, the aim is to be free from petrol by 2020. I haven't done the research on the other counties in Sweden but I'm sure that they have high targets for the same thing.

Perhaps England is doing something else with all its sewage? Like making fertiliser or somesuch? I know there are lots of new electric hybrid buses driving around in London now, why not go one step further and have biogas hybrid? Take a quick look at Transport for London's climate targets, they're suggesting around 50% reduction in emissions by 2025. Okay, there are ten times as many people there, but that means ten times the sewage, right? And ten times the taxpayers money that could go on the upgrades? And ten times the amount of people using the transport? I don't know, I'm not an economist. But it still feels like Sweden is doing something right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment