Thursday 16 October 2014

Day 421: Midnight feast


I was walking home at 9.30 pm. It was dark, it was around 4 degrees (which I think is cold, even if Swedish girls will still wear crop tops at that temp) and I heard a funny noise.

"Surely that's not an ice cream truck?" I thought to myself.

But I live in Sweden now, so that wasn't as logical a thought as it should have been. Actually that was the family friendly version of what I thought. What I actually said, out loud, was "Are you fucking joking?" as I rounded the corner to my house and a man coming out of the gate thought I was speaking to him.

He wasn't fucking joking. Swedish people really do love their late night, same-temp-as-outside, milky treats. In fact, my posting about ice cream actually convinced a Swedish friend to go and eat late-night ice cream.


He makes a good point, inside the average Swedish house the temperature is always the same, around 22 degrees. Clearly the demand for ice cream is there. This makes me think, are there any late night food delivery trucks (with a little jingle) that we are lacking in England?

We have ice cream vans, sure, but I'm talking about vans which serve a food which English people are known to be crazy about, as Swedes are for ice cream. I know we already have a 5* rated (dubious) kebab van and a round-about-town Hare Krishna curry vehicle but they're not quite the same. They don't drive to your local area, play a jingle and satisfy a craving you didn't have until you heard the sound. Where are the fish N chip vans, Beef wellington vans and strawberries and cream vans? "Oh look the BBC is showing a 10pm movie and the Victoria Sponge van has come just in time for a movie snack."

In case you were wondering, there are herring vans here, too. And more than a few hot dog vans.

No comments:

Post a Comment